Gary Davis' Blog

DotNET/PayPal Development and other Techie Stuff
posts - 46, comments - 528, trackbacks - 0

How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

The Microsoft Surface Pro and other PCs that have very high resolution (Hi-DPI) displays have problems with old software such as Photoshop CS6 and Viking 5D Embroidery software.

5dWindowTruncationThe icons may display very tiny and sometimes the windows will be cut off on the right (losing the minimize and close icons) and on the bottom.

Note on this image (from here) you can see the missing portion of the software as if it were chopped off.

The latest versions of Windows 10 (type winver on the command line to see the version) such as 1803 or newer support some of these old programs so they work right using Compatibility Mode. Prior to version 1803, there was a technique using the Windows Registry and a manifest file. That is no longer needed.

So to fix the issue, make sure the program is not running and then do the following steps.

Steps to fix for 5D Embroidery, 5D Organizer and possibly some of the other 5D tools:

1. Locate the program’s executable file, likely in a subfolder of C:\Program Files(x86).
  2. Right-click the .exe file and click on Properties
  3. Click on the Compatibility tab
  4. Click on Change high DPI settings
  5. Click on the bottom checkbox Override high DPI scaling behavior
  6. Click on the drop-down list and select System (Enhanced)
  7. Click on OK to close the High DPI box
  8. Click on OK again to close the Properties box.

Click this for larger image

You should not have to reboot.

The program should now display its window correctly.

Print | posted on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 11:47 AM |

Feedback

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Good Post
7/15/2020 12:19 AM | shahid23

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Good Post!
8/11/2020 9:46 AM | validcbdoil

# # re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Well done! I have never considered 5D Embroidery for my use. Perhaps the time has come. Thanks for the detailed instructions, I hope there will be no problems with the Win 7 version.
8/12/2020 10:46 AM | easy youtube downloder

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

nice post
9/21/2020 6:30 AM | samwty ali

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Not every student is able to provide great quality of academic writing. Some of them don't know how to write assignments in proper way, some just don't have enough time of desire to do it. In this case it' better to order professional academic writing from writers at payforessay.
10/24/2020 1:55 PM | https://payforessay.net

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Hey guys! Not every student is able to provide great quality of academic writing. Some of them don't know how to write assignments in proper way, some just don't have enough time of desire to do it. In this case it' better to order professional academic writing from writers at writing essays for money.
10/24/2020 1:58 PM | https://www.payforessay.net

# re: How I Fixed Messed Up 5D Embroidery on Windows 10 on the Surface PC

Some genuinely interesting points you have written. Helped me a lot, just what I was looking for
11/4/2020 9:48 AM | Raiders Black Hole